Sunday, November 16, 2008

Perfect body, perfect soul

I LOVE music. Absolutely cannot live my life without it. I love all kinds of music, but my favorites are the old, Vietnam era genres, and the current hard rock. I love Chevelle, Lincoln Park and CCR just to name a few. So the other day, I was heading to work listening to the local hard rock station and a song came on I hadn't heard before. I was listening to the lyrics and in the chorus, they said "I want a perfect body"...I was thinking, heck yeah! Why couldn't I have been born with a high metabolism....a flat gut....thin legs.....perky boobs....and an image of the perfect body flashed in my mind (all this in the span of about 3 seconds-my mind works very fast!) Then in the next line, it said "I want a perfect soul" and God totally hit me upside the head with a 2x4. I spend more time in this life working and wishing for the perfect body rather than working for that perfect soul. I know I will never be perfect in this life, but I know God wants me to strive for it. He wants me to work on keeping my mouth shut most of the time, He wants me to work on respecting my husband, and He wants me to LOVE. These are the things I struggle with on a minute by minute basis, and yet I still worry more about my gut than I do these commands from God. How incredibly pathetic. I WILL have the perfect body in Glory. But on this planet, I will not. The impact my soul makes here on this earth is far more important than the one my body will make...(because the statement this body makes is gross!!!!!) ha ha! Anyway, I have been mulling this over alot lately, and really striving to spend more time with God and his word. I am doing a bible study by Beth Moore called "Living Outside Yourself" and if you haven't done any of her studies yet, I HIGHLY recommend them. I would also suggest getting one with a video series...she is an awesome speaker and really gets you motivated. Everytime I am done watching her, I want to do what she does!! But this study is on the Fruit of the Spirit , which I struggle with most of those---well, OK, ALL of them :) but she makes all her studies very practical and easy to apply.

2 Corinthians 4: 16-18 says: Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet INWARDLY we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal GLORY that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is ETERNAL.

Outwardly I am wasting away....so this is supposed to happen to my body (probably not as fast as I am letting it!!), but inwardly, I get renewed day by day....by my Maker!!! How comforting is that, to know that every day, He is willing to renew me and make my soul "perfect" so I can achieve the eternal glory with him someday! This is all temporary ladies!!! Someday, we will have the body of Eve (I hope her belly was flat)!! and a crown to match! So I will hang in there and try to keep hiding the cellulite, knowing that if my soul is right with God, that's all that matters in this life!

Love ya,

5 comments:

Marchelle said...

you are cracking me up!! great post! thanks for this reminder - i think we ALL feel this way at some point or another!

p.s. - the song is called 'creep' by radiohead. LOL - nice name. but i can't believe you've never heard it before! i remember it came out WAAAY back in 94 or 95, i was either a sophmore or junior! LOOOL

Christy said...

Just coming over for a visit from DavisIX.

This is a great post. I look forward to that new body and the crown to match!

Davisix said...

Great post, Bran! And so, so true! Perfect Bible verse. I need to post it to my mirror! Love ya! Ang

Miranda said...

Great post! And oh so true.

Us said...

Oh I love this post! Awesome reminder! So I will cancel my gym membership and quit worrying about not ever seeing the light of day through my thighs again! Xo